Thursday, August 18, 2011

"Time is of the essence..." Part 3

I am having trouble getting things done on a daily basis. Sure I start off with high hopes, I am ready to go with my "to do" list, freshly marked, with shiny blue ink. Sometimes it can be shiny black ink, that's right--I mix it up! I'm a wild one! I will freely admit it! But, boy do I love a "to do" list. It's the promise of productivity--so to speak! I love crossing stuff off my list! It is such a great feeling! The problem is that I so easily get distracted by shiny things! There are so many shiny things! And kitties! I very frequently get distracted by kitties! I love kitties! They are so cute and fuzzy! Ah, see! There I go again! So to go along with my "Time is of the essence..." series (can we just take a moment to reflect on the fact that I have a series? This post happens to be part 3 of the series--it is a mini-series, if you will!) Okay, we are done reflecting or getting distracted, whatever you want to call it! Where was I? Prioritizing! I have found that prioritizing is definitely the way to go...
This works especially for people who get distracted or have small children (although I feel distractions and small children are synonymous! If you want to talk about attention spans?) But we won't! Because right now we are talking about prioritizing. Okay, so here is how this works! You take your "to do" list and grab a shiny red pen! Yes, I just said--shiny red pen! We are way beyond the blue and the black pen here. We are about to embark on a whole different realm of craziness, the red pen is the way to go. Now, write down the 3 most important things you want to accomplish today! For example, I am the mother of a four and half month old so my priority list would be... Shower, caffeine intake, and then food (perhaps an energy bar of some kind.) See? Then I would take my blue pen or black pen (your choice) and I would write down whatever else I would like to accomplish for the day, i.e. dishes, laundry, dust, vacuum, clean living room, bathroom, bedrooms, closets, litter box, pay bills and make dinner would probably be in there somewhere-- I suppose!
This works and I will tell you why! So here it is... as follows. As long as you get your priority list done for the day-- as far as I am concerned, you have been productive! You got done what you needed to get done... And if you happen to have occasion where you are able to venture further down on your "to do" list without getting distracted--well I say, "well done you!" And could you let me know how you did it? Oh, look a kitty!

No comments:

Post a Comment