Monday, January 24, 2011

Fat like Pudgy





Me and Pudgy

Okay, so I am fat! I get it! Maybe it is because I am almost 8 MONTHS PREGNANT!! But that doesn't mean that people have the right to remind me of this on a daily basis! Recently, I have become the subject of much public commentary and scrutiny! Now mind you, I am not talking about my well meaning friends and family who are just as excited as I am about this baby! I don't mind it when they point at me and say in an excited fashion "oh look you've popped" as they rub my belly and squeal in delight! It doesn't bother me! In fact I am quite proud of my baby belly! Especially when people say... "Oh look at your belly! You look adorable!" It actually kind of makes me feel good about myself!!

I am talking about the comments that I have recently received from people who--I honestly don't think they were thinking before they opened their mouths! And really, I am not trying to be bitter! In some ways I have to laugh about this--because otherwise, I just have no response...

Here are just a few of the comments that I have received:

"Oh look at your belly! Are you sure you are not having twins?"
"Are you sure you are not farther along than what you think?"
"You are due in April? Wow! You are big! April? Are you sure?"

And my personal favorite:

"You are due in April right? Because you look like you are about to go any day now!"

Seriously! Who says that?

I just don't know how to respond when people say things like this! The only thing that goes through my mind is... "Wow! Did they really just call me fat?"

Personally, I think an appropriate response would be for me to punch them in the face! But, "society" kind of frowns upon that! So I am left standing there feeling kind of awkward and dumbfounded! Not really sure what to say! I honestly don't think these people are trying to be rude! At least I hope not! I think they are trying to be funny--but, word to the wise... DON'T PISS OFF A PREGNANT LADY! We are very vulnerable and EXTREMELY HORMONAL and very self-conscious! And I bet you if I did punch them in the face--there would not be a jury in the world that would convict me!! So tread lightly people!

Now having a big belly isn't all bad! There is an upside to this... Like I said before... I am very proud of my baby belly!! And, it has proven quite useful, both in form and function! For instance, when I am walking down a crowded hallway people tend to pull over to the right. It's as if I am an ambulance complete with sirens and red flashing lights, people feel as though they need to make more room so I can pass! When I am in line trying to get food, I immediately get bumped to the front! Nobody wants to be responsible for making a pregnant lady wait for her meal! I get first dibs on the bathroom and I get to sit down whenever I want to. The term "standing room only" no longer applies to me.

Also, in terms of function, my belly makes a handy tray table where I can rest my plate while I am eating! And, it is the perfect place to prop my book while reading!
So you see, I don't mind my baby belly! And more importantly--it isn't everyday that I get to be fat like Pudgy!!










Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Amy I think those people are on crack lol. You are no lie one of the most skinniest pregnant women I have met. You look amazing AND I honestly thought you were only 5 months along and when I read the part that said you were 8 months I was like NO Way! So take that rude people! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, you're pregnant? I thought your drinking had just gotten a tad out of control (much like Pudgy's)! :-P

    BTW, I just squealed in delight. You're welcome for the image.

    ReplyDelete